- Last Updated on:   Oct 17th, 2019
- Posted by: Pro Accountant Advisor
- Category: QuickBooks
Learn simple steps to convert QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows & Windows to Mac
QuickBooks is undoubtedly one of the most popular tools used by small and medium sized businesses to manage their day-to-day accounting activities. Paper is no more the basic requirement of accounting, as QuickBooks has taken over the hype. This software is used by a large number of people all across the globe. This software can be used for multiple purposes.
In today’s article, we will be discussing one such task, which is converting QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows & Windows to Mac. If you want to know more about converting QB file, then continue reading the article or another option is to contact our QuickBooks mac technical support team by simply dialing our toll-free number .i.e. +1-800-880-6389
At times, the need to convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows and Windows to Mac might arise, due to some or the other reason. The process of converting the file is known as round-tripping. Round-tripping is a process which helps the user to send a QuickBooks for Mac file to an accountant with QuickBooks desktop for windows. It should be noted that each program uses a different type of database, the accountant’s copy feature is not available in QuickBooks desktop for Mac.
In such cases, round tripping is of much importance, as it helps the accountant to make changes to a Mac client’s company file. This might sound confusing to some, so it would be better to have a detailed view of the same. Therefore, without further delay, let us learn the entire procedure in detail.
Points to remember
Before we proceed further to know the entire procedure, it is better to take a halt and look at some of the important points to keep in mind.
- The very first point is that QBES can’t produce a QuickBooks Desktop for Mac backup and the reason for this is that the round trip can’t be used in QuickBooks Enterprise solutions.
- Coming to the second point, in case when the accountant has the file, there is no need to enter the into Macintosh file. And if the data is entered into the Macintosh file, then the user might be required to reenter the data when he/she receives the file back.
- Another point that the user is required to remember is that the user can change the password when converting a .qbb file which is created using the QuickBooks desktop for Mac. In case the user or the accountant changes the password in order to meet the QuickBooks Desktop for windows requirements, then the new password should be used to convert the file back to QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
- The next point is that the user will require an admin password to complete the roundtrip process. Well, this is one of the most important points that one can’t avoid to miss.
- It is suggested to not to process payroll in QuickBooks for Windows version of the file, as the QuickBooks for Mac doesn’t have an internal payroll.
- Another point that should be kept in mind is that the subscription data, payroll settings, and the payroll data that the user enters will be lost at the time when the file is converted back to the QuickBooks for Mac.
The converting procedure is divided into three subsections, namely:
- Preparing Macintosh File
- Converting QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows
- And Converting the same file back to QB for Mac.
Each of the subsection involves a set of steps, which are to be followed in the same sequence. So, let us explore each of the subsection and the steps below, respectively.
Preparing the Macintosh File
- The first step is to ‘Copy the company file’ to the desktop.
- Now, the QB user is required to check for any ‘Special characters‘ in the file name and the company name as well. In case any of the special characters are found, then ‘Rename‘ the file and ensure that all the special characters are removed.
- After that, ‘Open‘ the file in QuickBooks.
- Once the file gets open, ‘Delete‘ all the ‘memorized transactions‘ and the reports as well.
- The next step is to rebuild the company file, by selecting the file option followed by ‘utilities‘ and ‘Rebuild data‘, respectively.
- Moving ahead, the user is required to run the custom transaction detail report, and also change the date range to All and enable the ‘Memo‘ column.
- For this, the user is required to select ‘Reports> Custom Transaction Detail Report‘
- Now, from the dates drop-down list, select ‘All‘.
- And then, from the columns drop-down, choose ‘Memo‘.
- Lastly, tap on ‘OK‘ tab to run the report.
- The last step in preparing the Macintosh file is to check for any memos with the names lengthier than 50 characters or the ones containing any special character.
- In case any such name is found, the user is required to ‘Edit‘ the transactions and also remove the memos, followed by rebuilding the file. and with this, the preparing process comes to an end.
How to Convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows?
Once the preparation procedure comes to an end, the next thing is to convert the file for Windows. For this, the user is required to follow certain steps. Let us have a look at the steps to be followed:
- The first step is to ‘Open‘ the company file in the QuickBooks for Mac.
- The next step is to choose ‘File> backup to QuickBooks for Windows.‘
- Moving ahead, the user is required to specify the file name and also save the location in the ‘Save As‘ window.
- Now, click ‘Save‘ and allow the backup process to run.
- After that, the user is required to transfer the file to the ‘Windows Computer‘.
- The next step is to ‘Open QuickBooks for Windows.’
- Once done with the above step, the user is required to select ‘File> Open or Restore Company.‘
- Now, choose the ‘Restore a backup copy‘ in the Open or Restore company Window, followed by clicking ‘Next‘.
- After that, the user is required to select the ‘Local backup‘ and then tap on to the ‘Next‘ option.
- The next step in this process is to find and select the ‘.QBB file‘ that came from the Mac user and then click on ‘Open‘.
- The last and final step is to type ‘Yes‘ and then tap on ‘OK‘ when prompted to convert the file.
Steps to Converting the Same file back to the QuickBooks for Mac
Once the above-listed procedures are complete, the next process is to convert the same file back to the QuickBooks desktop for Mac. The steps to be followed for this procedure are enlisted below:
- To begin with the procedure, the user is required to ‘Open the company file‘ in the QuickBooks for Windows.
- The next step is to choose the ‘File> Utilities> Copy Company File for QuickBooks for Mac‘.
- Move ahead by saving the file.
- After that, ‘transfer‘ the file to the Mac Computer.
- The next step is to ‘Open‘ QuickBooks for Mac.
- Once done with the above steps, the user is required to select ‘File> Restore> From a Disk. ‘
- Moving forward, the user is required to ‘Select the file.‘
- Now, tap on ‘Open‘.
- The next step is to click ‘OK‘, when the user is prompted to restore a QuickBooks for Windows file.
- Now, ‘Enter the name‘ for the restored file.
- The last and final step is to click on ‘Save‘.
Conversion Error in converting QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows and Windows to Mac
Error in Windows:
When the QuickBooks user opens the file in Windows, then there are chances that the error might occur. The user might get any of the below-listed errors:
- Error (-14113, 0)
- Error C=116
Solution: If the user is facing any such error, then following simple steps might work to tackle the error.
- First of all, the user is required to open the company file in QuickBooks for Mac
- The next step is to follow the procedure to resort the lists
- Once done with the above step, the user is required to run the rebuild data utility procedure
- And the last and final step is to try to convert the file again.
Errors in Mac:
When the user is unable to open the file in Macintosh after updating QuickBooks Desktop for Mac, there are chances for the error to occur. A pop-up message appears on the screen stating “Cannot Import the Roundtrip file. This was originally created with another version of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. Please import it into the version with which it was created.”
Solution: To get rid of the error in Mac, the user is required to follow the steps enumerated below:
- The first step is to download and reinstall the previous version and release of QuickBooks.
- The next step is to restore the backup of the company file from Windows.
- The last step is to convert the restored file to the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
With this, we come to the end of this article, and we hope that after reading the above-enumerated steps, the user might be able to convert QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows and Windows to Mac.
However, if the above enumerated procedure doesn’t work in your favor, then the only option left is to seek professional assistance. You can dial our toll-free QuickBooks support number .i.e. +1-800-880-6389, and talk to our executives for professional guidance.
We own a pool of experts and professionals who have in-depth knowledge of QuickBooks, and with this knowledge, they make sure that every query of the QuickBooks users is resolved.
You’ll also like: