- Last Updated on:   April 19th, 2019
- Posted by: QB
- Category: QuickBooks Error Codes
QuickBooks Error Codes H101, H202, H303, or H505 are the most common Error codes that arises when a user try to access company files that is located on another computer and that computer demands additionally installation and setup.
You May See the Following Error Message on Your Desktop Screen:
Today, through this helpful post we will guide you how a user can get ride off from these error codes. QuickBooks H series error codes may occur due to various factors. You can follow below given points to solve these error codes by your own. However, If you have questions related to these errors, feel free to ask them to our Enterprise support team by dialing 1-800-880-6389. Our intuit certified experts will look forward to your concern and solve your problems quickly.
What Causes QuickBooks Errors H101, H202, H303 and H505?
When you open company file into multi-user mode shows error. The main reason for errors H101, H303, and H505 is when you are attempting to access the company file located on multi-user mode and the system need to installation and make their settings correctly.
Causes of QuickBooks Error Code H202:
- When QuickBooks is unable to connect to remote server in order to open the company file
- Wrong QB file hosting configuration or settings
- Damaged or incorrect .ND files configuration which will allow QuickBooks to access company files in a network.
- Conflicting QuickBooks Database Manager conflicts with DNS Server.
- QuickBooks workstation is unable to ping the Host computer (IP address is unreachable)
- When the configuration of DNS is inappropriate.
- QuickBooks services like QuickBooksDBXX/QBCF are not started
Causes of QuickBooks Error Code H505:
QuickBooks Error Code H505 generally occurs when a user tries to open a company file on a system from a different computer or QuickBooks fails to contact other computers connected to Multi-User hosting.
- Company file which is not located on their computer.
- The hosting configuration is wrong.
- QuickBooks has some corrupt and damaged files.
- When QuickBooks Firewall setting is blocking to access company files or it’s blocking incoming and outgoing communication.
You May See the Following Error Message on Your Desktop Screen:
QuickBooks Error Code H303 arises when your company file is located into your computer & required for an additional configuration.
Why QuickBooks Error Codes H101, H303, H505 Occurs?
When QuickBooks software try to establish a connection to access company files but it is unable to communicate with the server. Other reasons might be as:
- Configuration hosting is completely in a wrong format.
- A firewall gets blocked when communicates in or out.
- .ND files are incorrect or get damaged.
- QB firewall ports were not set as properly.
- DNS settings in a QB application are improper.
- QuickBooks services are not started properly.
- Problem facing in obtaining an IP address of a system.
- All settings of the hosting configuration are incorrect.
- There is a chance that your QB services is failed to run.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error Codes H101, H202, H303, or H505?
Checkout some of the solution to fix the multi-user errors codes in QuickBooks application .i.e. H202 or H505.
Tips to Remember: Perform the given steps on the server computer (the computer on which QuickBooks company file are hosted. You need to confirm that you sign in to the server as the administrator (or if you are having the administrator rights) to be authorize to run the ‘QuickBooks File Doctor’ tool.
Important Points to Remember
- Make sure that QuickBooks is Installed on the Server Computer
- Confirm that the QuickBooks software is installed on the server before you initiate.
- It could be possible that it is installed with or without a license. If the QuickBooks application is not installed on the server, you will be unable to use or access the multi-user environment.
- You can even download the QuickBooks software from official Intuit’s website.
Solutions of QuickBooks Error Code H202:
Solution 1: Use the QuickBooks Database Server Manager (QBDSM)
- Navigate to the server system (system that has physically stored the QuickBooks company file).
- In the server machine (system hosting the QuickBooks company files), click on the “Start” icon & type-in the database.
- Hit onto the ‘QuickBooks Database Server Manager’ (QBDSM).
- At any situation, no folder locations are shows then hit onto the “Browse” icon & search the QB folder where company files are stored.
- Click on the “OK” tab.
- Click on the “Start Scan” option, this will repair the firewall permissions & allows the QuickBooks application to converse over the network and fix the QuickBooks error.
- Once it completed, hit onto the “Close” icon & later, make an attempt to open the QuickBooks applications in Multi-User mode on the one or more then workstations.
Solution for QuickBooks Error Code H505
Solution 1: Disable the Hosting Mode on each of the workstations
Go to each of the workstation (except server or hosting machine), click on the QuickBooks application’s “File” tab => “Utilities” tab.
Note: This can even be perform without accessing/opening any precise QB company file.
- Verify the “Host Multi-User Access” dropdown list, this system is not hosting the QB company file & so you can use a standalone computer.
- In case, you encounter the “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access” option, then choose that alternative to disable the hosting on the computer, this will troubleshoot the QB Error code H505.
- Make sure that all workstations in the office seem like this under the “File” icon => “Utilities” option:
In case, the above prescribed steps do unable to resolve the QuickBooks error codes H202 or H505, then checkout the below manual troubleshooting process.
Important: It is suggested to seek an IT professional help with the underneath steps. If you are not happy as these can be more multifaceted & complex, then apply the above solution.
Solution 2: Verify the hosting & Services
In a multiple-user mode, hosting suppose to be enable only on the hosting machine (server).
Check the hosting:
On every single workstation (except the server or hosting machine), move to the QuickBooks application’s “File” icon => “Utilities” icon.
Note: Be sure that this can be done without opening/accessing any particular QB company file.
- If you notice the “Host Multi-User Access” drop-down list, then this PC is not hosting the QB company file & you can use a standalone PC.
Note: Don’t modify anything in case you notice the “Host Multi User Access” option at your computer.
- If you spot the “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access” option, then choose that alternative.
Check the QuickBooks Services
While working on the QuickBooks Desktop application in the multi-user environment, QuickBooks services such as QuickbooksDBXX & QBCFMonitorService suppose to be run on the server system.
- Tap the “Windows + R” key simultaneously to redirect to the run box.
- Type-in the services.msc, and then hit the “Enter” tab.
Tip: In the Windows search bar, search for the services.msc.
- In the “services window” drop-down, search for the ‘QuickBooksDBXX’ service.
Note: XX signifies the QuickBooks Desktop application released year.
In case, you do not notice the QuickBooksDBXX service:
- In case, you are using the ‘QuickBooks Database Server Manager’ (QBDSM) (the whole program itself is not run on the server) ensure that the QuickBooks Database Server Manager (QBDSM) is installed o211221n the server.
Note: Every QuickBooks Desktop application of different years installed on the workstations supposes to have its ‘QuickBooks Database Server Manager’ (QBDSM) in the multi-user environment.
- In any situation, if you run the whole application/program on the server machine, then you must need to open the QuickBooks and go to the “File” icon => “Utilities” icon. Finally ensure that the hosting is enabled (it must say and show the dialogue as ‘Stop Hosting Multi User Access’. In case, it says & shows the ‘Host Multi User mode’ dialogue, click it to enable hosting on the server).
- Perform double-click on the ‘QuickBooksDBXX’ service, ensure that the ‘Startup Type’ is set to ‘Automatic’ & service status must be as ‘Running or Started’.
- Now Choose the “Recovery” tab.
- Choose the drop-down list option at initial failure, and then choose the “Restart the Service” option. This will allow the QB software to restart the QuickBooks Database service if it fails. Repeat the same process again if failed again.
- Hit the “OK” tab to save the modifications.
- Perform again the steps 1-6 above for the ‘QBCFMonitorService’.
- Open the QuickBooks applications in multi-user environment on each of the affected workstation.
- If you encounter the same issue again or you think that the issue persists, then try to ensure that the QuickBooksDBXX service is a member of the administrator group & has the suitable permissions.
- Finally Share the QB company files with the help of ‘Set Windows access permission’ and verify the company file.
For Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 users
Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 needs the QB programs to be authenticated whenever the system boots up. QuickBooks desktop will not carry forward this authentication. While operating the QuickBooks file server, a few steps need to be taken after every reboot or an H202 error will occur repeatedly.
The following steps suppose to be done while operating the Windows 2012 Server Essentials:
- Stop the ‘Base Filtering Engine Service’.
Note: This will affect the other PC’s & active remote session/s which tends to lose the connection to the server system. Later, restart the server computer to regain the connection.
- On the keyboard, hold the “Windows + R” key simultaneously to open/access the “Run” window.
- In the open field, type-in the services.msc, and then hit the “Enter” tab.
Tip: In the Windows search bar, search for services.msc.
- Perform right-click on the ‘Base Filtering Engine Service’.
- Select the “Stop” icon. (If any error appears, dismiss the QB error & stop the service again).
- Scan the ‘QuickBooks File Directory’ with the “QuickBooks Database Server Manager”.
- Select in the sequential pattern: “Start” tab => “All Programs” tab => “QuickBooks” tab => “QuickBooks Database Server Manager” tab.
- Choose the “Scan folders” tab.
- Choose the “Add folder” icon (if there is no folder present). Or else, emphasize the folder with the files, and then choose the “Scan” tab.
- Once the process is done, shut-down the “QuickBooks Database Server Manager”.
- Initiate the ‘Base Filtering Engine Service’.
- On the keyboard, hold the “Windows + R” key to access/open the “Run” window.
- In the search field, type-in the services.msc, and then hit the “Enter” tab.
- Perform the right-click on the ‘Base Filtering Engine Service’.
- Select the “Start” tab. (If any QB error pop-up, dismiss the error & discontinue the service again)
If the above steps are unable to troubleshoot the QB problem then, follow the steps in the Multiple-User access changes in QuickBooks Desktop 2016 & later.
Important: The ‘Base Filtering Engine Service’ (BFE) service manage and controls the ‘Windows Filtering Platform’ operation. This service is necessary for process of many firewall products.
- Return to the Services:
- Hold the “Windows + R” key simultaneously to access/open the >“Run” window.
- In the search bar, type-in the services.msc, and then hit the “Enter” tab.
- In the “Services” window, scroll down and search for the service of Windows Firewall.
- Perform double click on the Windows Firewall.
- If the Windows Firewall is unable to run, then choose the “Start” tab.
Solution 3: Open and use QuickBooks network ports to transmit data
Points to Remember:
(Windows 8) & AVG Anti-virus 2013 users: By vigor research of our engineering team – they have noticed that an inconsistency observes between QuickBooks & AVG Anti-virus 2013 while being on the Windows 8. The inconsistency has been secluded to AVG, and in case, you use the AVG Anti-virus 2013 or AVG Anti-virus 2013 Free on Windows 8 and experience an error code H202, you should suppose to uninstall the AVG application & enable the Windows Defender (Windows 8). In such situation, you need to contact the AVG technical support team if you have any query or aspiration to continue with the AVG 2013 application.
Configure Personal Firewall
- Look to Configure Firewall & Internet security settings for QuickBooks application for complete instructions.
- This would let you know how manually you can set up the ports exceptions on the Windows firewall.
- After following the sequential steps, access/open the QuickBooks program in multi-user mode again.
1. In case, you have a third party anti-virus/system security/firewall application, then you suppose to configure the firewall or anti-virus application.
2. You can also temporarily disable the anti-virus/system security application/personal firewall if you encounter any issues or error code or warning message.
3. Ensure that you re-enable it once you are done with the test.
Verify the UNC vs. Mapped Drive (file path troubleshooting)
Important Note: It is recommended that you perform these highly technical steps under the guidance of a qualified and experienced IT professional.
Test the file path to ensure if QuickBooks application commands can reach the server from the workstations.
Be sure about the following arrangement before you start:
- Turn On the Network Discovery
- Click on the “Control Panel” tab.
- Select the “System and Security” tab, and then choose the “Windows Firewall” icon.
- In the left section, choose the “Allow an app or feature” icon via Windows Firewall (in the Windows Server 2012).
- Choose the “Change Settings” option.
- Click on the “Network Discovery” tab, and then choose the “OK” icon.
- Identify the server name
- Hit onto the “Windows + R” key to open/access a run command. Later, type-in the “CMD”, and then click on the “Enter” tab.
- Type-in the “ipconfig /all”, and then hit onto the “Enter” tab.
- In the “IP Configuration” field, search the line “Host Name” tab.
- At the right side of the screen, you will see the server name.
- Jot down the server name & proceed with the next step.
- Hold the “Windows + R” key simultaneously to access/open a Run command.
- Enter the ping [servername], and then hit the “Enter” tab. You will encounter a reply for each packet with none being lost.
Important Note: If you notice packet loss or a sluggish reply, it simply implies that your network should be diagnosed by an experienced qualified IT professional.
- If you are using the mapped drive to connect with the QB company file on the server, bypass the mapped drive by navigating to the server shared folder via UNC (Universal Naming Convention) path from the workstation computer (ex: \\server\QBData\). If the path to your company file is on your network and begins with a drive letter, it’s a mapped drive.
- Utilize the UNC path to spot the QB company file within QuickBooks application. You can also search it at the title bar when clicking the mapped drive, or:
- Hold the “Windows + R” key to access/open the run command. Later, type-in the “CMD”, and then hit onto the “Enter” tab.
- Enter net use [drive letter:]. For example: net use z:
- Tap on the “Enter” tab.
- In the “IP configuration” field, search the line “Remote Name” tab.
- Take note of the UNC path.
Solution 4: Add the server into the Windows hosts file
- Find the IP address and computer name of the server & workstation
- Press “Windows + R” keys to open the Run window on the Server.
- Now type cmd and hit Enter to open a Command Prompt window.
- Type ipconfig /all and then hit Enter and take note of the Host Name and the IP Address.
- Repeat steps 1-4 on any additional computer connected to the server.
- Edit Windows hosts file
Solution 5: Build a new folder for the company file
- At the host computer, build a new folder. Then, share it, set up the folder, and use the Windows access permissions.
Important Note: If you do not have access the file server, you can contact the IT expert or professional of your office.
- Copy the .qbw file to the new folder.
- Open/access the company file in while using the multi-user aptitude again.
I hope the above given troubleshooting steps are helpful to you and now you are able to fix the issue. However, if you are still facing problems you can always take help from our Intuit Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisors whenever you need. The direct toll-free helpline number for our QuickBooks enterprise support team is 1(800)880-6389.
Solution Summery of Error H101, H202, H303, or H505 in Infographic
We, Pro Accountant Advisor is a staunch and well organized team of QuickBooks technicians. You can resolve this QuickBooks Error H101, H202, H303, or H505 or any error associated with this software by taking our premium customer support services.
Thanks to visit us..! You’re always welcome here anytime soon if you have any other concerns.
More helpful articles: