- Last Updated on:   Jan 31st, 2020
- Posted by: QB
- Category: QuickBooks, QuickBooks Error Codes
4 Methods to Fix QuickBooks Runtime Error
QuickBooks is an advanced accounting software that is used by millions of business owners across the world. The software is excellent in keeping records, preparing for taxes, paying employees, generating invoices and other countless business-related tasks. But despite being a topnotch software it sometimes receives some errors. Users may receive errors while installing it, updating or upgrading it or while using it.
One common error that you may face while opening or using QB is Runtime error. This error may be frustrating as it’s not very simple to fix it. However, here are some troubleshooting steps that you may perform to do away with this error.
Solution 1: Restart Your Computer
- You may get rid of many of the QuickBooks and computer errors by just restarting your computer.
- After that you can click the windows key on your keyboard and select shut down or restart button.
- You can also press the power button to turn your computer off and then back on.
- Allow your PC to reboot and launch QuickBooks again.
Solution 2: Run QuickBooks With No Data
The makers of QuickBooks -Intuit recommends its users to launch QB with no data to fix Runtime error.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del simultaneously and check if QBW.EXE file is running.
- In case you notice QBW.EXE listed, click the file and then select end process to stop it.
- Now, right-click on the QuickBooks icon and press and hold Ctrl and click Open while keeping the key down.
- This will allow you access to QuickBooks without data being connected to the account.
Solution 3: Close All Open Windows
Another useful method to fix Runtime error is to close all open windows.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del again and check if QBW.EXE is running on your computer.
- Make sure that QBW.EXE is not running and then right-click on the QuickBooks icon
- Now press Ctrl key on the keyboard and hold that down and click Open.
- Next, press and hold the Alt key on the keyboard from the No Company Open Screen.
- Keep the Alt key pressed and click open to launch your QB company file.
- This step generally opens your company file. Though, it keeps any other windows from opening.
Solution 4: Rename QBW.INI File
- If none of the above solutions work, then you should try to rename the QBW.INI file in order to get rid of the Runtime error.
- Use Windows file search tool to find the file on your computer (or locate that by manually navigating to the location of the file).
- After locating QBW.INI, do a right-click and select rename.
- QuickBooks recommends changing the name of the file to .OLD extension, thus your file should be QBW.OLD.
- Now save the changes by pressing Enter on the keyboard.
Go ahead and launch QuickBooks like you normally would after renaming the QBW file. Hopefully, the new file extension will resolve the Runtime error, allowing you to once again access and use your QuickBooks software.
We hope that this article will help you fix QuickBooks Runtime Error. If the error still exists or you face any other QuickBooks-related issue, you can call our QuickBooks Error Support team by dialing 1(800)880-6389.
Few other helpful articles