- Last Updated on:   June 27th, 2019
- Posted by: QB
- Category: QuickBooks Error Codes
QuickBooks is a premier accounting software that is trusted by millions of small and mid-sized business owners across the globe. However, to make the most of the innovative software, one should keep upgrading and updating it. Sometimes, in the process of installing the software, users may come across Error 1603. An installation error may cause this error code. A probable reason of the occurrence of this error is running one or more other applications in the background while updating QuickBooks.
This error may cause due to the installation error of QuickBooks. When this error occurs you may see one of the following error message on your desktop screen:
- Error Status 1603: The update installer has encountered an internal error.
- Error Status 1603: Unable to apply the patch.
- MSI returned 1603: Fatal error during installation.
A window that would read the following error message may appear on your screen:
“Install Error 1603: There was a problem installing Microsoft .NET Framework.”
“Install Error 1642: Error installing Microsoft .NET Framework while installing QuickBooks.”
Early Signs of QuickBooks Error Code 1603
- There might be a locked company file.
- The Microsoft NET 1.1 SP1 installer is installed inappropriately.
- Installation process might not be getting permissions.
- Temp Windows temporary folders may be full.
- Corrupt QuickBooks installation or Corrupted Microsoft Windows installer.
- An old version of QuickBooks accounting software is being used.
- Damaged Microsoft C++ & MSXML Components
- You are using an outdated version of the OS.
What Causes QuickBooks Error Code 1603?
- Partial installation or corrupt download of the software.
- System shutdown due to power failure.
- Desktop windows registry may have a corruption from a recent QB related software modification.
- System may have a malware or virus as Desktop windows files or QuickBooks related program files are corrupt.
- A QB related files has been deleted by a program.
Note: This error code generally occurs during run-time in QuickBooks. In MS Windows 10, QuickBooks Error 1603 windows may be caused by several issues. Thus, it is imperative that you fix the reasons that may trigger this error.
How to Resolve Error Code 1603 in QuickBooks?
The installation error has three solutions. Move on to the second only if the first one doesn’t work. You can also decide to perform both the troubleshooting steps and it may give you better results. But take note of the following facts before starting to fix this error.
Few Important Points Before Proceeding:
- These solutions may assist you in resolving the installation related issues.
- You are recommended to consult a team of experts if you are confident to perform the troubleshooting steps on your own.
- Contacting your computer’s manufacturer or a Windows expert is advised.
- Consider contacting QuickBooks Support, if the issues exist even after performing the troubleshooting steps.
Solution 1: Download and Run the QBinstallTool.exe file
- First of all download and install the QBinstallTool.exe file and run it as a primary solution to this installation error. (The total size of the QBInstallTool.exe file is approx 648KB).
- Once the file is downloaded, just save the file to your desktop.
- Now, open the file to run the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool.
- This should fix the error, if not then move on to the next solution.
Solution 2: Repair MSXML 4.0
You need to Choose the type of installation you want, in case you use CD for installing QuickBooks:
- Firstly Insert the CD disk into your system and close all open QuickBooks window of installation on your screen.
- Follow the mentioned instruction to begin with the MXSML installation for your operating system.
For Windows 7 or Vista:
- Click the start button on the keyboard.
- Type in msiexec.exe /fvaum “D:\QBOOKS\msxml.msi” in search box and press enter.
- Replace D In case your CD drive letter is different.
For Windows XP:
- Press window and R key (Windows+R) together and Run box will appear on the bottom left of your screen.
- Type in msiexec.exe /fvaum “D:\QBOOKS\msxml.msi” in the box and click OK.
Note: The QuickBooks windows installer error 1603 can pop up in any Microsoft Windows operating system, including Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, etc.
Solution 3: Download QuickBooks Diagnostics Tool for your PC
- First of all you need to download the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool for your windows. This tool helps you to settle issues that is caused by various 3rd party applications like .NET Framework, MSXML, and C++.
- Now Sign-in on your system as System Administrator.
- After that Open any browser (ex- Chrome, Mozilla, Internet Explorer) in your system and type “QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool” at the search bar.
- You will get too many search results on your computer screen. Click on the download the Install Diagnostic Tool option and save the file in the local desktop.
- Once the download is complete Double click on the QBInstall_Tool_v2.exe file and press the run as system administrator option.
- This Diagnostic Tool will run a complete scan on the system and repair all the network related issues.
Solution 4: Download & Install Windows Updates
It is necessary to download the latest updates of your windows OS to resolve the most common errors of QuickBook. To check for the latest updates of your windows follow the below given steps:
On Windows 10, 8.1 or 8
- Firstly Click on the Windows Icon, on your keyboard
- After that go to the Settings
- Now Go to Update & Security
- Now Click on Check for Updates
On Windows 7
- At first Click on Start Button
- After that navigate to the Control Panel
- Hit a Click on System & Security option
- Press on Windows Updates
- And then click on Check for Updates
Solution 5: Repair Microsoft.Net Framework
- Go to Control Panel and open Programs and Features
- Hit a click on Windows Features
- Now find the version of .NET.and Hit double click on it
- Check the .Net Framework 3.5.1 & 4.5 options if not already checked
- Click on Uninstall a Program
- This will popup a window and ask do you want to Repair or Remove the program.
- Click on Repair and then Restart the computer
- Check the .Net Framework 3.5.1 & 4.5 options again
- Finally restart your computer system.
Solution 6: Reinstall Microsoft .NET Framework
Microsoft.NET Framework is a Microsoft component used by QuickBooks software, to integrate with Internet applications. Execute the following steps if a damaged or missing .NET framework triggers errors.
- Open your computer and Press Windows+R keys, on your keyboard.
- On run dialogue box, type control panel and hit Enter.
- Hit a click on Uninstall a Program
- You will get list of programs now. Now from the list, uninstall all Microsoft MSXML & C++ components
- Once the process done restart your computer system
- Download and install the components again from Microsoft Website
Here in this article we have provided you the step-by-step guide to resolve the QuickBooks error code 1603. However, If the error persists even after trying the provided solutions, you can contact our QuickBooks Customer Service team that is equipped with sound knowledge of the software and innovative tools & technology that is required to troubleshoot any type of QuickBooks related issues.