- Last Updated on:   Jun 10th, 2019
- Posted by: QB
- Category: QuickBooks, QuickBooks Support
Guide to Installation, Update and Set up of QuickBooks Database Server Manager
With the emergence of QuickBooks in the market, there is a stark change in the way accounting is done. As this new age software consists is of very advanced features helping in accounting, bookkeeping, payroll, sales and inventory, in no time it has become a popular accounting software. Today, it is being used by big multinational organizations, mid-level companies, small businesses, entrepreneurs and even individuals.
What is best about this software is users can easily use it because of its simple interface. In fact, guidelines are available in the internet as well as QuickBooks Support services. One of the main aspect of this is the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
What is QuickBooks Database Server manager?
It basically allows users to configure QuickBooks server for the multi-user access. This tool develops network data file (.ND) for the company file in the host computer. So, in this article we will discuss in details how to install, update and setup the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Following are the activities it can perform:
- Scan the QuickBooks company file as it is important for the multi-user access.
- Check the local storage device so as to detect new company file automatically.
Important Note: The QuickBooks Desktop needs the optimum file performance on the network and so you can install and set up the tool on your system in the location of the company files.
Easy and Quick Tips to follow
- The QuickBooks Database Server Manager develops Network data files and stores the company file in the host computer. In case, you want to use the multiple version of QuickBooks Desktop it is important to install each version of the Database server manager.
- If you are planning to install multiple version of Database Server Manager then it will provide you with only multiple versions of processes. However, it cannot provide multiple version of the software.
- Install the Database server Manager in a chronological order, which is from the oldest to the newest version, when you want to use multiple version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Be informed that the year’s database services are running in the background when the server works for each year. Ensure that the services of the windows interface that can be accessed through the Windows and the Control Panel than this service is mentioned in the QuickBooks DBXX where the xx shows the number of versions.
- Each of the QuickBooks versions add one user when the QuickBooks Database Manager is installed. (ex. QBDataServiceUser28 for 2018 and QBDataServiceUsers27 for 2017).
Steps to Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Firstly, double-click on the installer and the “Start” with the installation of the “Wizard“.
- If your computer has internet then to download an update click on “Next“. In case the computer is not connected with the internet then tap on “No” and then on “Next“.
- Close “All programs” that are open and click on “Next“.
- Carefully read the “Terms of the software license agreement” and if you agree with the “Terms and conditions” then choose “I accept the terms and license agreement” and click on “Next“.
- Now choose the “Custom or Network options“
- After this select the installation type
- Choose “I’ll be using QuickBooks on this computer And I’ll be storing“….and when you want to run the program in your system.
- Select the “I will not be using QuickBooks on this computer…” when only QuickBooks data will be stored on this computer.
- Now select the tab “Yes“, Allow “Access“.
- After this enter your “License Number” and “Product Number“
- And to complete the whole installation process follow the instructions that are displayed on screen.
- After the installation is done set up the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Steps to Update QuickBooks Database Server Manager
It is necessary to update QuickBooks Database Server Manager. It is important because when an a critical update is released or when the new version of QuickBooks Desktop is installed in the computers.
- The first thing to do is download the patch.
- After the completion of the installation you have to reboot the server and it is very important to do so.
- Once the server is updated on each of the workstations you will get the message: The Company File needs to be updated to work with this “version of QuickBooks Desktop.”
- The updates can modify the database structure and in such instances you will get the message to “Create a backup“.
- After this you will be able to open the file when you follow the prompts once you complete the backup.
Steps to Set up and Use the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
The Database Server Manager tool can do the following:
- The folders and QuickBooks company files that needs to be configured for multi-user access are scanned.
- The local hard drives are used so as to automatically configure new company files.
“Hope this infographic will be informative for you to understand about set up of QuickBooks DataBase Server Manager”
Get to know how you should open the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- First of all, you need to Go to “Start” button then click on “Programs”, then click on QuickBooks, and then click on “QuickBooks Database Server Manager“.
Scan your Folder Features
The company files that you store on the server should be scanned to ensure that they are configured to permit other users to access these company files easily.
- First go to the “Start” button and then click on “Programs“. After this click on QuickBooks. Then on QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Now click on “Scan Folders“
- After this look for the folders that contain “QuickBooks company files“. In case you don’t know which files then scan the entire the whole disk.
- Now click on the “Scan” button and you will also be able to see through the display bar which folders are being scanned.
All the company files that are configured in the scanned folders for multi-user access when they are completely scanned.
- Click on “Add folders” button and then select the “folder” you wish to include there.
- The location of the folder under the folders which contain the “QuickBooks company file“.
Remove the folder:
- You can “Remove” the folder by clicking the folders that contain QuickBooks Company file and afterwards click to the “Remove Folder“.
Click on Scan Button
- Finally, you need to click to “Scan the folders” button that is listed under the folders that contain QuickBooks company files.
- After finishing the scanning you will see the “list of company files” found on that folder.
Monitored Drive Features
When you add new company file to the server, you can use the
“Monitored Drive features” which keeps your QuickBooks Database Server Manager updated.
- First go to the “Start” button and then click on “Programs“, then on QuickBooks and then click on QuickBooks Database Manager.
- Now Click on “Monitored Drive tab“
- “Remove and rename” and then click on “Select“, in case you want all the “local drives” that you want to monitored for company files that are added.
Database Server Features
To determine open your QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- The list of users who are logged into each company file and the company files that are connected to the server.
- The status which displays the services of the QuickBooks Database Server. All the services should be running when the server is hosting the company files.
- In case, you want a change in the status of the services then use the Services Administrative Tool to configure the services QBDBXX.
To download QuickBooks Server updates use the updated features and view the versions of QuickBooks Server.
- First go to the “Start” button and then click on “Program“, then on QuickBooks and click on QuickBooks Database Manager.
- After this click on “Updates“
- In order to install the updates follow the instructions displayed on the screen
In order to find any kind of information about the computer where the database server is installed makes use of the system feature.
- In the “Start menu” click on “Program” then on QuickBooks and finally on QuickBooks Database Manager.
- Now click on the “System“
- After this check the “System information“ for the computer which has the “Database server” installed.
We hope that this article has helped you to Install, Update and Set up of QuickBooks Database Server Manager. In any case, you have any query regarding QuickBooks Database Server Manager then seek assistance from QuickBooks Support team.
Pro Accountant Advisor is a team of Intuit Certified ProAdvisors and available for 24/7 to help you. Our experienced technicians are available to provide you with any kind of guidance or solve any error faced by QuickBooks or QB Database Server Manager. Dial our toll-free support number 1-800-880-6389