Ways to resolve QuickBooks Desktop Performance Issues
In case, you are working with QuickBooks Desktop over a network or any company file then you may encounter few performance issues. Few such problems can be like QuickBooks Desktop Doesn’t Start or taking a long time to open or something related to it. In this article we will discuss all such issues in detail and how to speed up the performance of QuickBooks. This article contains a depth information the topic – How to Fix, Resolve QuickBooks Desktop Performance Issues? Identify problems. If you want to take help from our Intuit Certified ProAdvisors then you can call us at our QuickBooks Support toll free Number 1-800-880-6389. We will provide you a complete solution and make you understand that why these kind of issues occurs in your QuickBooks so that you will be aware for the next time.
Below are the type of performance issues you can face in QuickBooks.
- Company file task gets stuck as the number of users signing into the file increase multi-user environment.
- Data issues in multiple data files, which means that the network is harmful for the data files.
- Irregular performance problems.
- QuickBooks performance issues only for one or two individuals in the office.
- Performance issues for all in the office.
- Taking a lot of time to open a file.
- The files work absolutely Ok in the morning but gets stuck as the day advances.
Ensure that your network setup is within these approvals mentioned below
✔ Embellish your computer:
One of the major factors that affect the performance of the QuickBooks Desktop is the system memory (RAM) that you have in the server computer which hosts the company file. If you have less than 4GB RAM on your server than try upgrading it to a higher capacity. Upgrading the system memory will improve performance issues of QuickBooks. For this you can take assistance from some IT professional.
✔ Location of Company File:
The performance of QuickBooks can also be affected by where your company file is stored. Do ensure that you are using a Windows or Linux based server computer instead of Network Attached Storage Device (NAS Drive). For more information about preferred company file location try to optimize your data file location.
✔ What Type of Network do you have?
If you have the proper network set up you will get the best results. The following is required to achieve the more effectiveness with QuickBooks
- Not a wireless network
- Gigabit-capable router or switch, Cat6 networking cables and Gigabit cards.
- Please note that 10/100 network speeds are promoted but when there are many users you will be benefited from the Gigabit network speeds.
✔ How to know that you have a Gigabit network?
- First, press and hold CTRL +SHIFT+Esc keys on your keyboard.
- This will open the Task Manager.
- Select the Networking tab.
- Now check when your Local Area Connection shows 1 Gbps and under the link speed you have a gigabit network. In case you see 199 Mbps then you do not have gigabit network.
How should you identify and solve QuickBooks Desktop performances issues?
Important: Few of these steps are perfectly performed by our qualified IT professional, exceptionally if you do not have Administrator approach to your server computer.
Do update to the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop before troubleshooting performance issues.
Key 1: Build backup file to reset the TLG file and restore lists.
Building a recent backup file assists in improving the performance in QuickBooks as it resets the Transaction Log file (TLG) which is used to mark the change in the file before they are written to the database.
Below are more information on the TLG.
- During the program, first select File Menu and then Backup Company and then select Local Backup.
- After selecting Local Backup, click on Options
- From the Tell us where to save your backup copies select your Desktop or another local location.
- After this ensure that Complete Verification is selected and then tap on OK.
- Now select Save it Now and then tap on Next. After this choose your Desktop and then click on Save in the save Backup Copy Window.
- Once all these steps are done QuickBooks Desktop will create a backup file to your desktop.
Key 2: Test Speed from UNC path and from the Desktop
Instead of the Mapped Drive unclose the file via the UNC path:
Networks that aren’t similar set up can affect QuickBooks performance. When you access your company file through mapped drive (Q\QB Data for example), if you can try approaching the file via the UNC path (\\ ServerName\ QB Data)
The below mentioned steps are a bit technical and you may require the assistance of an IT professional if you run into any problem with the file location path or server computer.
- Try to discover the name of the server by opening the computer (Windows key +E) and try to look for the network location area.
- You will notice dissimilar mapped drives like X:\, Z:\, Y:\ and more. If you closely see you will come across the server name denoted by 2 backslashes(\\). This is actually the server computer name and make sure to write it down some for the next steps. If you are looking for the shared folders name, then this is usually the name right before the server name.
- Once you have the name of your server and shared folders, put them together like : \\ ServerName\QBData.
- Take note of the path and then open QuickBooks and then select Open or Restore the Company file.
- Now select Open a Company File and tap on Next.
- In the unclose company box, now enter the UNC path that you got from the step 3 in the file name box and hit Enter.
- After this you will come across a list of your company files, select one you want to open and then click on Open.
- In case the speed is pretty high then take assistance from your IT professional who can set up a UNC path for future and not use the mapped drive to access your company files.
- If the speed is identical then troubleshoot with the below mentioned steps.
Test the speed locally (if on a network)
To check if the network or the company file is creating trouble, test QuickBooks in multi-user atmosphere. In case, there is performance issues when more than one person sign into the company file try solution 3.
And if the performance problem happens with one user logged into the company file over the network, then try out the below mentioned copy file location.
- First Press F2 button in the keyboard within QuickBooks.
- Under File Location, make a note of where your company file is located.
- Then close QuickBooks and make all users record into the company file sign out.
- After click on the Start menu and then select Computer.
- Now browse to the file path referring step 2.
- As you find your company file (QBW), right click on it and select Copy.
- In your desktop right-click on the empty space and then select Paste.
- Open QuickBooks and find the desktop location to open the file that you just copied.
- Check the performance of the file and see if its speed is higher than being on the network.
- In case, the file remains sloppy as it was performing in the network then try out to key 5 to check the problem within the file itself.
- If the file’s speed has improved while it is in local then carry out the below mentioned steps.
Key 3: Reduce Company File Fragments and perform disk defragmentation
- Your company file is local to the desktop, so create and restore a portable file.
- Once you have created and restored portable file, perform a disk defragmentation. (if your file is located on a network then go to the server computer.
- Note: In case, your computer is using a Solid State Drive (SSD) then you should not perform the disk defragmentation.
- Click on the Start button and then choose All Programs. Once done select Accessories then System Tools and then Disk Defragmenter.
- Now tap on the Defragmenter button and then follow the guidance that is displayed on the screen to defragmenter your hard drive.
Key 4: Conflicting Antivirus software and 3rd party programs
Often few conflicting programs running in the computer along with QuickBooks bring degradation in its performance. So below are few of the steps to improve its performance.
Check your antivirus software
Few of the antivirus available often affect the performance of QuickBooks. So, you can temporarily disable it to see if the performance improves.
- On the server that hosts the company file, temporarily disable the antivirus security program.
- Now Open QuickBooks and check ifs performance has improved or not.
- If there is no change in the performance, then check for 3rd party programs and this is discussed below later.
- You need to set exceptions to give permission to the security application to bypass QuickBooks in case the performance is better when the program is disabled.
Check 3rd Party Programs in the system
Often some third party programs can be reason behind the low performance of QuickBooks. A simple way to identify the issue if these programs are affecting the performance or not are by using Selective Start-up. This will load only the basic driver and start-up items that are important for your computer.
- First click on the Windows Key +R on your keyboard to open the Run command. Then type msconfig and then hit Enter.
- Now select Diagnostic Start-up and then click OK.
- After this reset your computer and check the performance of QuickBooks.
- If there is no change in the performance of QuickBooks then try the next solution mentioned.
- In case, the performance has improved during the Selective Startup, then take assistance from your IT professional to understand which specific program is causing the performance problems.
Important: Once you are done testing the performance of QuickBooks in selective startup, follow these steps to bring back the normal operation of your system.
- Click on Windows Key +R and open the RUN command and then type msconfig and then click on Enter.
- Now select Normal Startup and click on OK
- Once done reset your computer.
Key 5: Check for issues within your company file
If the previous steps don’t improve the performance of QuickBooks then check your data file to understand the problem. Before you check, ensure it the performance is affecting multiple users or only or two users. And also keep check on the performance issues happening.
Check if QuickBooks is lazy for all users all the time
In case, the company file is all the time lazy for every user, you can check the data file for integrity problems. Do note that when you are in the multi-user atmosphere, it is approved that all but only one person can log out of the company file.
- First from within the company file select the File Menu then Utilities and the Verify.
- Now Tap on Ok to start the verification process.
- In case there is integrity problems then QuickBooks will ask you to run repair on the data.
- If the verification finds an error then you can run a rebuild and do ensure to examine your QBWin.log file for errors.
- In case the verification is completed without detecting error then carry out the next step.
QuickBooks only lazy for few users but not all?
Changing the QuickBooks preferences: You can maximize the performance by setting extra company and user-specific preferences.
Here are few things you need to do if QuickBooks is lazy only when saving transactions (invoices, bills etc)
- First go to the list menu and then choose Templates.
- Now make use of a new template for your transaction.
- So, click on the templates button in bottom left and select New.
- Now choose the type of template you want and then click on OK.
- Click on the Manage templates button in the top left.
- Then give the new template a name and then click Ok on the right side.
- Now click on OK again to close out of the Basic Customization window.
- Once done use your new template for transaction and see if the performance has improved when you are saving it.
After you are done with all these steps and still the performance issue persists the press F2 within the program and try following the below mentioned steps
- The size of your company file?
- QuickBooks Enterprise Solution: If your file is greater than 500MB then you can enhance the performance of QuickBooks by verifying the correct amount of memory.
- Does your list exceed the recommended limits?
- How many years of data you have or versions on this file you have?
There are no actual limits for company files but performances can get affected if the size is over 500 MB for QuickBooks Pro/Premier and 1.5 GB for QuickBooks Enterprise. And more than 7 years of transaction or exceeding it is best suited for condensing your QuickBooks data or starting with a new company file.
That’s all from our behalf. If you have any queries or Need any help related to this or your QuickBooks is not Responding? Dial our toll-free number+1-800-880-6389 to have a feasible solution from our QuickBooks Enterprise Support team.
You May Also Like