- Last Updated on:   Jan 18th, 2020
- Posted by: QB
- Category: QuickBooks Error Codes
Here is how you can fix QuickBooks Error 16638 85757 at home
Did you just receive QuickBooks Error 16638 85757? It’s a common error especially if you are using an older version of QuickBooks. This error mostly pops up when you try to open a company file that has been corrupt or damaged. You may also receive this unexpected error while login to online banking. It’s easy to spot this error as Error 16638 85757 shows up on your screen.
If you are wondering how you can get read of this error, read on this blog post. However, you can take help from our QuickBooks error support team to save your previous time and efforts.
What causes QuickBooks Error 16638 85757?
One or more of the following reasons may trigger QuickBooks Error 16638 85757:
- QuickBooks company file is corrupt or damaged.
- You are trying to access the company file on a network instead of a local drive on your computer.
- QuickBooks Desktop is unable to access the company file while using online banking.
Troubleshooting QuickBooks Error 16638 85757
The Errors 16638 85757 only appears in older versions of QuickBooks thus, if possible, you can switch to the latest versions of QuickBooks and avoid this unexpected error for good. If upgrading to the latest version of QuickBooks isn’t possible immediately, you can try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Try reopening the company file (.qbw), on which the error is generated, again.
- Go back and check the path of the company file.
- Verify if QuickBooks file path is the same as the company file location provided on the Product Information Screen.
- To open the Product Information Screen, open QuickBooks and press F2 on your keyboard.
- Open and review Production Information and verify the path of the QuickBooks company file.
Important: In case your company file is stored on a network drive of your system, follow the given steps:
- Open the folder where your company file is located on the network drive.
- Copy (Ctrl+V) keys your company file.
- Paste (Ctrl+V) keys the file on any local drive.
- Repair your online banking function that may have generated the error before.
- If you receive the same error again, it denotes that your company file (.qbw) is damaged.
You are required to make use of verify and rebuild utility resolve the company file issue. For doing this, you should do follow the provided steps:
QuickBooks accounting software comes equipped with features able to automatically fix basic corruption of data. Intuit, the maker of the software, advice all its users to perform the verification utility feature of the company files regularly. You can follow the given steps to verify your company file if you are unaware of the process:
- Open your QuickBooks desktop
- Go to the main menu and click File > Utilities > Data.
- Select verify option and the verification process will start.
- In case the process shows no issues then the current window will itself get closed.
- Click on any message that you receive.
- In case the process finds some issues, you will receive a warning message which will elaborate on the issue and offer steps to fix the issue.
- Now perform the Rebuild Data feature for resolving the issue found in the process. Let’s assume the error still persists then chances are that your entire database has got corrupted.
You might also like: