- Last Updated on:   Feb 3rd, 2020
- Posted by: QB
- Category: QuickBooks Error Codes
Business owners across the world trust QuickBooks for their accounting and bookkeeping tasks. A robust accounting software, QuickBooks has tools and features that are user-friendly and can be handled and operated by without much training. Though it’s a state of the art software, but like any other software, it isn’t completely void of errors. Users may, at times, come across a few errors that could disrupt their workflow. One common issue that users often report is QuickBooks Error Code -6000, -77. If you too have come across this error while accessing the “company file” you can’t read on this blog post to find all the possible reason and solutions of this error.
What is QuickBooks Error Code -6000, -77?
Whenever the file is stored in the incorrect folder, QuickBooks Error -6000 -77 occurs. Now-a-days the accounting standards and the accounting software have transformed the way people used to manage their businesses. Now as both cloud and basis are available, the growth of the businesses has been triggered and helps them take their functions to the next level. When it is hit with errors, it shows up pop-up messages and stops users from working.
The image as shown below is similar which appears on your desktop.
Quick Methods to fix Error -6000 -77 (Infographic)
- Close QuickBooks, right click on QuickBooks Desktop and click on ‘Run as Administrator’
- If the files are on an external drive, then copy the company file.
What Causes QuickBooks Error -6000, -77?
One or more of the following reasons may cause QB Error -6000, -77:
- Company file should be placed on the local drive which is located on an external storage device.
- Number of files opened with reference to the mapped drive on QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks is being run in multi-user mode while communicating the problem.
- The company file is stored on external storage instead of being in the local drive or a network.
- A folder where the company file is saved has “Incorrect folder permission”.
- A mapped drive is referred to for opening the company file.
Reaction: All this results in QuickBooks file becoming corrupt or damage.
Note: When one restarts the system, the issue is resolved most of the time.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error -6000, -77?
Below are some solutions that you can follow to resolve this error:
Solution 1: Re-create the damaged folder
- Create a new folder on the C:\ drive
- Open the folder that has the company file data saved
- Locate the “.qbw” file
- Right click on the .qbw file and select “Copy”
- Create a new folder (do a right click and select new > folder)
- Paste the “.qbw file” in the new folder
- Create an “Access” with windows permissions so that the company file will be shareable by the and queries can be solved
- Open QuickBooks file from the new file location
Solution 2: Use QuickBooks File Doctor tool
- Firstly, You need to Download and run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool on your computer.
- File doctor tool will detect the company file errors automatically and try to debug it.
Solution 3: Rename .ND and .TLG files:
Rewrite the extensions of .ND and .TLG which help to configure files allowing QuickBooks Desktop to access company files in multi-user mode. Errors can be caused while opening QuickBooks Desktop if harm .ND and .TLG files are there. If you rename these files, then there will be no data loss while opening or scanning the company file using QuickBooks database server manager. They are reproduced automatically.
- Open the folder that has the company file stored.
- Locate files with the same name of a company file with these two extensions as “.ND” and “.TLG”
- Find the files with the same file name as your company file, but they should be with the extension .ND and .TLG. Ex: company_file.qbw.ND, company_file.qbw.TLG
- Select “.ND/.TLG” file, do a right click and click “Rename” option
- Add the word “.old” after adding an extension and press “Enter” key. (Example: company_file.qbw.nd.OLD, company_file.qbw.tlg.old)
Solution 4: Configure firewall and security software settings
- Configure the “Firewall port settings” to automatic.
- Manually configure exceptions for all firewall ports.
- Either install an “Anti-virus” defender or appropriately configure it.
See Also: How to Configure firewall and security software.?
Solution 5: Try UNC Path Instead of the Mapped Drive
- Right-click on QuickBooks icon, press and hold the “Ctrl key” on your keyboard, and select “Run as Administrator” option.
- Hold down the “Ctrl key” till the “No Company Open” window appears.
Note: When you will hold down the “Ctrl key“, it will prevent QuickBooks Desktop from auto-opening a company files.
- From the File menu, select “Open or Restore Company” > Open a company file > “Next“.
- In the left pane, click “Network” settings, and navigate to the location of your company file.
Note: If you can’t find the folder where the company file is saved, you may need to set folder permissions.
- Select the company file and click Open.
Some Other Helpful tips to solve this error:
- Get more permission and reboot the QuickBooks software. Most of the times, error removes as one restarts the system and thus, no further work is required.
- Run a QuickBooks file doctor. It will repair the damaged QuickBooks files.
- Shift the company file to local drive if it is stored on an external storage device. Open QBW file in QuickBooks and check if error still occurs.
We hope that this blog post helps you in fixing the QuickBooks Error -6000, -77. Though the error is complicated, above-mentioned troubleshooting steps are dependable and have been tried by any users and experts. In case QuickBooks -6000 Series Errors or you face any other issue while opening company file or performing any other action, you can contact our QuickBooks enterprise support team anytime at +1 800 880 6389.
For setting up your company and QuickBooks training get online with QuickBooks certified ProAdvisors today!
More Helpful Topics