- Last Updated on:   Jan 28th, 2020
- Posted by: QB
- Category: QuickBooks Error Codes
No doubt, over the past few years QuickBooks have emerged as one of the best accounting software. It has gained so much popularity that it is being used by small and medium business all across the world. From accounting to finance management this new age software is packed with powerful features. Even though QuickBooks comes with many perks but at times it does show certain glitches. At times the errors can be easily fixed but the user might need some assistance especially from the QuickBooks technical support providers.
In this article, we will be discussing about QuickBooks Error code 6177, 0 that is encountered by many QB users in the recent times. There might be too many possible causes behind the occurrence of this error, we will discuss about these causes with it’s solution methods. However, for an immediate assistance you can consult our QuickBooks error support team at +1-800-880-6389 and discuss your issues with the best accounting professional and experts.
You may also read: How to use accounting tools in QuickBooks Enterprise?
What is QuickBooks Error code 6177?
According to Intuit, Error Code -6177, 0: “QuickBooks is attempting to open this Company file” indicates that QuickBooks accounting software is unable to use the path to the company file. This kind of error generally occurs while a user uses QuickBooks in multi-user mode. When the user tries to access company file, the QuickBooks error 6177 pops-up suddenly on desktop screen.
Error -6177, 0: QuickBooks is attempting to open this company file
A Few of the reasons behind the occurrence of these errors can be firewall problems, corrupted data files, networking troubles, usage of old version of the software, installation failure of the software and many more.
You may see the following error message on your desktop screen:
What Causes QuickBooks Error -6177, 0?
- One of the reasons behind the error is QuickBooks desktop does not use the path to open the company file.
- Or any kind of Virus or malware in QuickBooks files.
- Incomplete installation or corrupted download might also end up in this kind of error.
- System files mistakenly deleted that are related to QuickBooks, then this error could be seen.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error code -6177, 0?
Below are the steps to resolve Error Code -6177, 0 in QuickBooks desktop.
Solution 1: Ensure that QuickBooks is updated to the latest edition
- For that, the user needs to firstly open the company file after moving a file on the local computer. In case of any error while opening the file then search for a portable company file.
- The next step is to update your QuickBooks on the latest release.
- And then, add windows firewall ports if they are not configured as in QuickBooks few ports needs to be opened.
- Later on, the user needs to ensure that he/she turns off hosting, if it is in clients’ computers.
- Followed by making a new folder and trying to access the data file from that location.
- The user also needs to move the folder to the local computer and then try to access the data.
- Now, the folder that has the company file on the server computer must have full access to a computer.
- And finally, even the server which contains the QuickBooks file should have access to all folders.
Solution 2: Download and Run QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool
- First of all, download the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool and install it on your computer.
- And then, run QBconnection diagnostic tool.
Note: You can find the instructions for using the tool in Tool tab.
- Now, the QB connection tool will automatically detect the problem and try to resolve it by its own.
Note: If you see File Open successful (all Advanced statuses have green check-marks,) your network connection is OK, and you should be able to open the file.
Solution 3: Try to manually resolve the file path
You need to use the following steps if the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool can’t run successfully on your computer.
- Navigate the computer where it stores your company files and then close QuickBooks.
- Now delete the network descriptor (.nd) file from the computer having company file and then close QuickBooks desktop.
- Open the folder where the company file is saved
- Search the file with a .ND file extension. (It will look like MyCompanyFile.QBW.ND)
- Right-click the .ND file and select the Delete option.
- Now configure the QuickBooks database server manager.
- Firstly, click on Start button.
- Choose the Programs option and then go to QuickBooks > QuickBooks database server manager.
- Now give a click on Add Folder button.
- Search the folder with the QuickBooks company file.
- Click OK button.
- Click on the Scan button. (The QuickBooks company files located a list that shows all the company files QuickBooks database server manager is hosting.)
- Once the scan process is complete, just click on Close option.
- After this check access permission of company file in windows.
- Visit Set-up folder permissions to share company files web page to verify permissions that are set up correctly.
- If the full application is installed on the server.
- Turn hosting On and Off
- Open the company file through local path.
- Create a new folder.
Solution 4: Download and run File Doctor on your server
First of all you need to download and use the file doctor tool on your server. Once the file doctor tool successfully installed on your computer slick on Scan button. This process will scan and clean up your company file that is hosted on your server. Also this process refreshes the location.
Important: If this method fixes your error code 6177, 0 then be sure to backup your company file.
We hope that the information and the methods to fix the error shared above in the article might have helped you to resolve QuickBooks error -6177, 0. In case you are still encountering the same error or you have any further queries, feel free to get in touch with our QuickBooks 24/7 helpline number anytime +1-800-880-6389.
Our support team is available 24/7 and they will leave no stone unturned to provide you with the best possible support.
See other helpful articles: