- Last Updated on:   April 22nd, 2019
- Posted by: QB
- Category: QuickBooks Error Codes
Over the past few years QuickBooks have emerged as one of the best accounting software. It has gained so much popularity that it is being used by small and medium business all across the world. From accounting to finance management this new age software is packed with powerful features. Even though QuickBooks comes with many perks but at times it does show errors. Sometimes they can be easily fixed but at times you need some assistance especially from the QuickBooks technical support providers.
In this blog, we will discuss about QuickBooks Error -6177, 0 that is encountered by many QB users. There might be too many possible causes behind to this error and here, we will discuss about these causes with it’s solution methods. However, for an immediate help you can consult with our support team at +1-800-880-6389 and talk with best accounting professional and experts.
What is QuickBooks Error 6177?
According to Intuit, Error Code -6177, 0: “QuickBooks is attempting to open this Company file” indicates that QuickBooks couldn’t use the path to the company file. This error generally occurs while a user using QuickBooks in multi-user mode. When you are trying to access company file, the QuickBooks error 6177 pop-ups suddenly in your desktop screen.
Error -6177, 0: QuickBooks is attempting to open this Company file
Few of the reasons behind this error are firewall problems, corrupted data files, networking troubles, usage of old version of the software, installation failure of the software and more.
You may see the following error message on your desktop screen:
What Causes QuickBooks Error -6177, 0?
- QuickBooks Desktop does not use the path to open the company file
- Virus or malware in QuickBooks Files
- Incomplete installation or corrupted download.
- System files mistakenly deleted that are related to QuickBooks.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error -6177, 0?
Below are the steps to resolve Error Code -6177, 0.
Solution 1: Ensure your QuickBooks version is updated to the latest edition
- Open the company file after moving a file on the local computer. In case you are getting an error while opening the file then search for a portable company file.
- Update your QuickBooks on the latest release.
- Add windows firewall ports if it is not configured as in QuickBooks few ports needs to be opened.
- Ensure that you turn off hosting if it is in clients’ computers.
- Now make a new folder and try to access the data file from that location.
- And also move the folder to the local computer and then try to access the data.
- The folder that has the company file on the server computer must have full access to a computer.
- Even the server which contains the QuickBooks file should have access to all folders.
Solution 2: Download and Run QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool
- Download the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool and install it on your computer.
- Run QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool.
Note: You can found the instructions for using the tool in Tool tab.
- QB connection tool will automatically detect the problem and try to resolve it automatically.
Note: If you see File Open successful (all Advanced statuses have green check-marks,) your network connection is OK, and you should be able to open the file.
Solution 3: Try to Manually solve the error
You need to use the following steps if the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool can’t run successfully on your computer.
- Navigate the computer where it stores your company files and then close QuickBooks.
- Now delete the network descriptor (.nd) file from the computer having company file and then close QuickBooks desktop.
- Open the folder where the company file is saved
- Search the file with a .ND file extension. (It will look like MyCompanyFile.QBW.ND)
- Right-click the .ND file and select the Delete option.
- Now configure the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Firstly, click on Start button.
- Choose the Programs option and then go to QuickBooks > QuickBooks database server manager.
- Now give a click on Add Folder button.
- Search the folder with the QuickBooks company file.
- Click OK.
- Click on the Scan button. (The QuickBooks company files located a list that shows all the company files QuickBooks database server manager is hosting.)
- Once the scan process is complete, just click on Close option.
- After this check access permission of company file in windows.
- Visit Set-up folder permissions to share company files web page to verify permissions that are set up correctly.
- If the full application is installed on the server
- Turn hosting On and Off
- Open the company file through local path.
- Create a new folder.
Get instant support & help for error -6177, 0
I hope these troubleshooting steps helped you to resolve QuickBooks error -6177, 0. If you are still encountering the same error or you have any further queries, you can get in touch with our QuickBooks 24/7 helpline number anytime +1-800-880-6389. Our support team is available 24/7.
See Other helpful articles