- Last Updated on:   October 16th, 2019
- Posted by: Pro Accountant Advisor
- Category: QuickBooks Error Codes
Data is one of the most sensitive aspects of the business, without which the business might not be able to work even a single day. When the data is managed manually or on paper gets misplaced, it is next to impossible to reclaim it. But if you are a QuickBooks user, then backing up the data or the company file, is one of the best features offered by this software. This feature not only helps in case of data loss, but also ensures safety of the data from any kind of accidental data loss.
The exception to the above feature is when the QuickBooks user is unable to backup the company file, which means that the QuickBooks software is unable to create the backup of the crucial data. It is an undeniable fact that backup of data is very much essential in order to create a copy of the company file on which the user is working, in order to recover it easily in emergency cases.
If your software is unable to create the backup, then the case is sensitive and ignoring it might lead to fatal consequences. Well, need not to panic, as we have come up with this article to assist you in resolving this issue and also finding out the hidden reasons behind such error.
In case you need immediate help or technical support, you can dial our toll-free number +1-800-880-6389 to save your time and efforts, and we will ensure that you are provided with the best possible care and solutions.
Do you know what is back-up of company file?
A few of the non-technical QuickBooks users might not be well aware of the fact what actually is backing up of QuickBooks company file. Basically, a backup is the data that the user needs to re-create the company file. Backing up the company file rescue the users in case of accidental data loss. It is always recommended to backup the company file on a regular basis in order to avoid any kind of issues later on. At the time of backing up the data or the company file, QuickBooks users might encounter certain errors, which include error messages:
- Backup failed
- QuickBooks unable to backup company file
Most Common errors you may see
- -6000 series errors
- QuickBooks error -6189, -82
- Unrecoverable error messages
- C messages like C=422 or Error C=343
- 3371 error- QuickBooks installation is damaged
- QuickBooks Error -6190, -816
- And many others…
You must know the reasons behind the error
- The basic cause of the error is the unobtainability of the storage device that generally stores the backup file.
- Any kind of damage in the company file might also lead to such error.
- Another reason can be setting up a wrong backup path leading QuickBooks to freeze.
- In case the company file name is having more than 65 characters.
- One more reason behind such error can be when the user is trying to take backup on an external hard disk.
- If the company file is more than 3GB in size, then also such error can be encountered.
It should be noted that, since the real culprit behind the QuickBooks failure to backup error might not be identified instantly, identifying the most appropriate solution might be difficult at first for the QuickBooks users and this might end up in hit and trial method. However, seeking for expert assistance by QuickBooks enterprise support team in such cases is recommended, as they have an in-depth knowledge and experience to tackle such errors in one go.
How to fix QuickBooks Unable To Backup Company File Error?
Talking about the methods to get rid of such error, the QuickBooks users have two to three options. We will be discussing each of the method along with the steps to be followed in each. So, without wasting much time, let us have a look:
Note: Remember that your QuickBooks desktop is up to date and have the latest version on t.
Method #1 Setting up QuickBooks Desktop to use the new company file name
- To begin with the method, the very first step is to click on ‘Open or Restore‘ an existing company from the QuickBooks ‘File menu‘.
- After that, the user is required to choose ‘Open a company file‘, followed by clicking on ‘Next‘.
- The last step is to select the ‘New company file name‘ and tap on ‘Open‘.
Method #2 Backup of company file into an external drive or flash drive
- The very first step is to visit the ‘File‘ menu and then choose ‘Save Copy or Backup‘ option.
- After that choose the ‘Backup copy‘ and then tap on ‘Next‘.
- Once done with that, the user is required to select ‘Local Backup‘, followed by selecting ‘Next‘.
- Moving ahead, the user should select ‘Save it now‘, when asked, and then click on ‘Next‘.
- After that browse to a location on the local drive and then tap on the ‘save button‘.
- Minimize the QuickBooks Desktop and head to the next step.
- Now, locate the backup file on the local drive.
- Then, right-click on the file, followed by selecting the ‘copy‘ option.
- Once done with that, open a ‘Windows Explorer‘ window.
- After that, double-click the drive letter that corresponds to the external drive or flash drive to open the same.
- Now, right-click on ‘File‘ and then select the ‘Paste‘ option and you are good to go.
Method #3 Rename the QuickBooks Desktop Company file
Before making any kind of changes to your company file, the user is required to take a backup of the same in order to avoid any mess. Also, if the user is using Loan Manager, then he/she is required to recreate the loan manager information once the company file is renamed.
- The first step is to ‘launch the Desktop‘ and then open the company file.
- Now, the next step is to ‘Press F2 or Ctrl+1‘ which will open the ‘Product Information‘ Window.
- Do not forget to note the location of the company file listed in the ‘File information field‘
- Now, navigate to the location of the company file. This step might vary with the Windows version, just like:
Windows 10,8.1 and 8: The users of Windows 10, 8.1, and 8 are required to right click the ‘Windows start‘ button and then select the ‘File Explorer’.
Windows 7 and Vista: Whereas, other users are required to right click the ‘Windows start’ button and then select the ‘open windows explorer‘ option.
- The next step is to right-click the file and the choose the ‘Rename‘ option
- Once done with that, the user is required to type the new company file name and then hit ‘Enter‘. If the Windows prompts the user to confirm the action and then tap on ‘Yes‘.
The backing up of the company file is an unavoidable process. Therefore, if you face any kind of problem while backing up the data or the company file, do not ignore it and immediately look for professional assistance. You can dial our toll-free number .i.e. +1-800-880-6389, and talk to our QuickBooks error support executives regarding QuickBooks associated errors.
You might also like: