- Last Updated on:   Oct 16th, 2019
- Posted by: Pro Accountant Advisor
- Category: QuickBooks
When a user is working on QuickBooks software, there comes a time when he wants to transfer the QuickBooks from old computer to new computer. There can be any reason behind this decision. A user can easily use the migratory tool to transfer QuickBooks software from his old to new computer with maximum three files, and if the user is using a US version of single-user QB desktop. When a user wants to do this, he should follow the steps below to reinstall or move the QB Desktop installation:
- Ensure that you have product and license information
- Uninstall your QuickBooks in order to reinstall it
- Download QB Installation files or you can also insert QB installation CD in your new PC
- Then, install QuickBooks.
For a chance, if you have QuickBooks license and product number but do not have QB installation files, then you can download them from Intuit website.
When a user re-installs or transfers QuickBooks to the new computer, then registration is required. User can register following the below steps:
- Go to ‘Help‘ in QuickBooks menu bar
- Click on ‘Register QuickBooks‘
- Enter ‘business phone number‘ and ‘postal code‘
- Once the information is complete, your QuickBooks will be registered
- Intuit will also record your ‘registration details‘ for the new computer
- If you registered from this PC earlier, then you are not required to register again.
- As you have transferred QuickBooks from one to another PC, then you will also have to transfer company files. You can copy these files to the new PC once the QB is installed properly.
How to transfer QuickBooks from one computer to another using Migrator Tool?
Migrator tool is one of great features of the QuickBooks software. A user can complete the process of transfer in just few clicks due to this feature only.
How does migrator tool work to transfer QuickBooks from one computer to another?
Migrator Tool is also known as Move QuickBooks tool. This tool can be accessed only if you are an Admin user. You will need to create a complex password and need to remember it by writing it somewhere, however, it is required only once.
The migratory tool will allow you to copy max three company files in the USB flash drive along with the supporting documents. Pen drive will physically move the files and the migratory tool will do technical work in background. The tool will also download the right version of QuickBooks Desktop in the new computer and will aid in setting up all the files.
Note: Using migratory tool will not delete any file or reformat your system.
Requirements of migratory tool to transfer QuickBooks to new computer:
- There should be internet connection to new computer.
- Pen drive should have good amount of empty space. Free space around 150-200 MB is required usually.
Data which gets copied through migratory tool while moving QB to new PC:
All the data required to run QuickBooks Desktop gets copied, however, the list is as below:
- Version and other QB Desktop details
- Recent company files- max 3 files with supporting documents
- All other related files and custom templates and forms
- QB templates and letters
- Local attachments
- Memorized reports
- Spell checker
- Printer settings
- Financial Statement Designer
- Layout designer
- Business planner (.bpw)
- Cash flow
- Statement writer
- QB Loan Manager (.lmr)
- Advanced reports (for QB Enterprise)
What is not copied using migratory tool when QuickBooks is transferred from old to new computer?
- Multi-user set configuration.
- Payroll or payments services set up in QuickBooks will not be copied as per Intuit policy to protect data.
- Intuit Data Protect needs to be uninstalled in the old PC and reinstalled in the new PC
- Company files which have not been recently opened will not be copied.
- Manual backups created by the user will not be copied.
Below given are the steps to use migratory tool:
On Old Computer:
- Go to ‘File menu‘ in QuickBooks menu bar
- Select ‘Utilities‘
- Find ‘Move QuickBooks’ to another computer and then, click on it.
- After that, click on ‘I am Ready’, and create one-time password
- Choose ‘pen drive‘ to use
- Wait when files get copied
On the New Computer:
- Insert pen drive
- Find ‘Move_QuickBooks.bat’ file on pen drive and run it.
- Enter password that you created
- Click on ‘Let’s go‘
- Migrator tool will now do its work.
There is no fix time on how much time will it take to complete the process. It completely depends on the internet speed and size of company file.
You might also like the topics: