- Last Updated on:   June 10th, 2019
- Posted by: QB
- Category: QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions
Get to know all about troubleshooting multi-user issue on Mac
Are you having difficulty while troubleshooting multi-user issues of QuickBooks at the time of using Mac devices? This article contains easy troubleshooting steps to fix your Multi-User issues in QuickBooks for Mac.
According to the professionals, these errors occur at the time QuickBooks users trying to share a company file.
Fix Multi-User Issues in QuickBooks for Mac
Steps to Follow
Before beginning please make sure that QuickBooks server is running and company file is shared.
- Begin by clicking Go from “Application“.
- After that, Double click on the “QuickBooks Server” Icon.
- Share the file needed:
- In case the file you have selected is listed under Not Shared, then select the File” and click on “Start” Sharing button.
- In case the file is not listed then click on the “+” button in the left corner and “Add the file“.
Note: It is also important for the host Computer to grant permission and run the QuickBooks server App. The company file that needs to be shared also needs to be saved on the same computer that has the QuickBooks Server App installed.
Check Mac OS Firewall Settings
- First of all, Click on “System Preferences” from the Desktop Apple Menu
- Choose the icon for “Security and Privacy“
- After that Click on “Firewall” Option
- Click on “Firewall Options” and then click on “Activate” it.
- Make sure that “QuickBooks Server App” is allowed Incoming Connections.
Ensure that the file sharing permissions are set correctly on the host Computer
- Firstly, Click on “System Preferences” from the “Desktop Apple” Menu
- Click on the “Sharing” icon
- Next, Tick on the “File Sharing” Checkbox
- Add folder with the file to be shared in the Shared Folder.
- Select the “+” button in the “Shared Folder” Column
- Select the folder containing the “Company File” and click on “Add”
- In the Users column specify to “Grant permission” to Read & Write for Everyone or for the specific users using QuickBooks.
Make sure Bonjour Service is working properly on all Computers
- First of all, Select “File” from “New Finder Window“
- Make sure the other connected computers using QuickBooks are visible in the Shared Section.
In case the other connected computers are not visible then QuickBooks will not be able to share files with the other computers. For proper working Bonjour needs the following ports to be opened “56565 TCP, 5297 TCP, 5298 TCP/UDP, and 5353 UDP.“
Check the network configuration
- If QuickBooks and the Server App both are installed in the Host Computer then unplug the ethernet and reboot the computer.
- After rebooting Open QuickBooks and try enabling the Multi-User mode.
- In case it gets enables it means the problem is because of network hardware which can at times block communications between QuickBooks and QB Server.
Enable Peer-to-peer direct Connection
- Log out from both computers and connect them with a single Ethernet cable.
- Starting both the computers, use the “Bonjour service” to enable the computers seeing each other. Make sure the two computers can see each other in the “Shared Section” of the new Finder window.
- Choose one computer as a Host” and open the file and enable “Multi-User Mode“.
- Open QuickBooks in the second computer from the “Shared Section” and open the “File“.
Few things to keep in mind before Troubleshooting Multi-User Issues:
Remember these facts while troubleshooting multi user issues.
✔ Does your QuickBooks sever run even when the computer is in Sleep mode?
- It can be done by changing the “System Preferences“:
- Select the “Application” button from “Energy Saver“.
- Change “Settings” the computer sleep to “Never“.
✔ Does any of the network setting or QuickBooks server setup change?
✔ Is any of the network setting on your computer or QuickBooks server computer change?
Make sure that QuickBooks Server which is sharing your company file does not change the network settings. In case of changing the network settings (Applications>System Preferences>Networking.) when the file is shared.
Note: If self-managing a DNS server that the correct DNS settings exist on all the workstations.
✔ Is your Computer connected to the WiFi?
Sometimes the connection to the QuickBooks Server may be lost due to a weak signals. In such cases use strong WiFi signal or consider using a better internet connection.
More helpful articles you may like: