- Last Updated on:   Oct 17th, 2019
- Posted by: QB
- Category: QuickBooks
Get to know the troubleshooting of Error: QuickBooks unable to open Company File
QuickBooks is an extraordinary software that allows entrepreneurs to manage their accounting activities and other business tasks. At times, this amazing software might come up with certain glitches as well. One such error is QuickBooks unable to open company file. Well, it is very much frustrating when the QuickBooks user is unable open the company file. If you are also facing similar issue, then there is no need to panic, as this article is there to rescue you.
In this article, we will be discussing the facts related to this error just like, the triggers, symptoms, rectification, etc. A quick fix to this error can be consulting our 24X7 QuickBooks Support team at our toll-free number .i.e. +1-800-880-6389.
Why does QuickBooks Company file can’t open error occurs?
The error QuickBooks unable to open company file can be caused due to several factors. Before exploring the troubleshooting steps, it is very much important to first find out the actual reason behind it. The reasons include:
- The very first reason can be issue with the file location and extension.
- Another reason can be corrupted hard disk.
- In case the same file is opened on a shared network, the user might encounter this type of error.
- If the user applies incorrect methods to open certain files.
- Issue with reports in the file might end up in such errors.
- Damaged QuickBooks Company files can be another factor that triggers such errors.
- Using outdated version of QuickBooks Desktop might lead to this type of error.
Error messages you might see:
Certain error messages can be seen on the screen, in case of the error QuickBooks unable to open company file. The error messages include:
- C= messages like Error C=422 or Error C=343
- Unrecoverable error messages
- Error Code 3371
- QuickBooks Error -6073, -99001
- QuickBooks Error -6073, -816
- -6000 series error
Safety measures to be taken before beginning with the rectification process
- The QuickBooks users should ensure that the issue is with the company file and not with the program itself.
- The next thing to be considered is that the user should have an updated QuickBooks version, in order to avoid any mess.
- Also, the user should ensure that QuickBooks Desktop is not corrupted.
- Lastly, the company file should be hosted only by one computer.
What are symptoms of the error?
- If your system hangs quite frequently, then this can be the system of error QuickBooks unable to open company file.
- If your QuickBooks Desktop is not responding.
- Improper installation can also be one of the symptoms.
- Sluggish response by the computer to the keyboard and mouse inputs.
- If the user is not able to open QuickBooks company file, then this can be another symptom.
Troubleshooting Error: QuickBooks unable to Open Company File the error
Now as you have explored the causes, symptoms, error messages, as well as the safety measures, it is time to find out the ways to get rid of the error QuickBooks unable to open company file.
In order to rectify this glitch, the user has a few available options. We will be discussing each of the solution and the steps to be followed in each of the solution. So, without wasting much time, let us begin:
Process 1: Open the file directly from the QuickBooks
- To begin with, the user is required to press and hold the ‘Ctrl key’, at the time of double-clicking in the QuickBooks icon.
- The next step is, until no window QuickBooks file open, the user should not let go the hold key.
- Moving to the next step, once the QuickBooks program opens up, the user is required to ensure that only a single computer is hosting the company file. In case more than one computer is hosting the company file, then the user is required to close down the other servers that open the company file.
- Now, the QuickBooks user has to turn off the hosting in other computers by following the steps enumerated below:
- The first step is to go to the ‘File‘ and then click on the ‘Utilities‘ and then click on the ‘Stop hosting multi-user access‘.
- At the time when the user follow the above step and stop hosting the multi-user access, a message will appear on the screen, and on that the user is required to select ‘Yes‘.
- Once the company file is closed, a message will appear on the screen, on which you have to choose for ‘Yes‘ and you are good to go.
- This error message is generally displayed on every client computer.
- Now, the user is required to visit the ‘No Company‘ window, and then select the file, followed by selecting the ‘Utilities‘ option.
- Once done with the above step, the user can confirm that the menu option of the host multi-user access is displayed. It should be noted that one or more than one client computers can display the menu options on the screen. The client computers prevent hosting multi-user access, that indicates that they are already hosting multi-user access.
- Now, choose the ‘Option‘ to stop multi-user access hosted on any client computer, display hosting of ‘Stop multi-user access‘, and then the user is required to follow the prompts to stop the hosting.
- The last step is to try to open the problem file again, after which the log-in window would appear on the screen.
Process 2: Change the location of the Company File
- To begin with this process, the user is required to ‘Create a new folder in C: Drive‘.
- The next step is to open the QuickBooks company file folder location.
- After that, the user is required to press and hold the ‘Ctrl key‘.
- Moving ahead, choose the company file.
- Now, right-click the ‘File‘ and then click on ‘Copy‘.
- Last step is to navigate to the new folder, and then opt for ‘Paste‘.
Process 3: Check Properties and File Extension
- In this process, the first step is to press ‘Windows and E keys‘ simultaneously, to open the ‘Windows Explorer‘.
- After that, the user is required to visit the folder where the company file is located.
- Now, ensure that you select the ‘QuickBooks company file‘ and also the file size should be at least 7 MB.
- Moving ahead, the user is required to go to ‘Advanced‘ and also ensure that the compress and encrypt attributes boxes are checked.
- The last step is to tap on ‘OK‘.
Process 4: Rename the company file
- First of all, the user is required to open the ‘QuickBooks Company file folder‘ location.
- After that the user should right-click on the ‘Company file‘.
- Now, tap on the ‘Rename‘.
- The next step is to ‘Change the name‘ of the file.
- Once done with that, the user is required to ensure that this new name shouldn’t exceed 3 letters.
- If .TLG is available, the user is required to rename it as well.
Process 5: Renaming the .TLG and .ND extensions
- The first step in this process is to ‘Open the QuickBooks company file‘ folder location.
- After that, right-click on the ‘Transaction log‘ file.
- Once done with that, the user is required to rename the file to ‘OLD.qbw.TLG‘.
- The next step is to ‘Open the company file‘.
- And then, QuickBooks software will automatically create the files of the ‘.TLG and .ND‘ extensions.
- The point to be noted here is that the user shouldn’t delete these files, as they could be used to recover the lost data.
Process 6: Preventing the automatic opening of QuickBooks Windows
- The very first step is to go to the ‘No Company Open Window‘.
- After that, the user is required to ‘Find the company file‘.
- The next step is to press and hold the ‘ALT‘ key.
- Once done with that, tap on ‘Open‘,
Once you have opened the company file, then carry out the steps below:
- First of all, go to the ‘Edit‘ menu.
- After that, the user is required to click the ‘Preferences‘ option.
- The next step is to select the ‘Desktop view‘.
- And then, click on the ‘Don’t save‘ the desktop option.
- The last step is to click on ‘OK‘, and you are good to go.
Process 7: Troubleshooting the Installation
The user should move the company file to a different system, and then try to open it there, and if the file works on that system, then the issues lies in your system or QuickBooks desktop original installation. In such cases, you can do the following:
With this we come to the end of this article, and also we hope that these methods will help in tackling it.
However, if you are a new user and unable to get rid of the error even after following the above steps, then you can consult our QuickBooks enterprise support team by dialing our toll-free number .i.e. +1-800-880-6389.
Some other useful links: